Yo Surfing Athletes
Thanks for Dropping In to Surf Training Secrets…
Surfing Exercise Workouts On the Beach
Most of us understand that surfing exercises will not only improve our performance in the water but also know that exercise in general greatly benefits our life. So how come so many surfers wait out the long flat spells by doing nothing to help their surfing or their life? Strange us humans.
So what are the best surfing exercise workouts to enhance overall surfing fitness? Well, generally speaking they are on the beach. For a number of reasons.
1) You perform, compete and surf in the ocean at the beach, so it makes obvious sense to get your surfing exercise workouts in the medium in which you perform. Improving your surfing fitness on a bike or surf training in a gym will only take you so far.
2) Being outside under full spectrum sunlight and performing surfing exercises surrounded by natural elements is fundamental to de-stressing physiologically and psychologically. There is a massive amount of scientific research suggesting that in today’s modern world our entire human race can benefit from being outside and training outside.
3) Surfing exercise programs on the beach mean we can’t bring along the mobile phone, the I-pad or the laptop, all of which distract you from real living. If your on the beach and it is sandy, perhaps windy, it means just you and the elements, which means more effective surfing training.
4) If paddling is the base of surfing then don’t you think paddling should also be the base of your surfing training? Swimmers swim train don’t they? Runners by running and lifters train by lifting right? So if there are even tiny waves, grab a long board and get your surfing workout by catching a few or just getting in the water and getting in some surfing exercise for fun.
5) Being on the beach forces you to use your body weight. You don’t want to have to carry any equipment (apart from your boards… or maybe a volley ball net) and using your body weight is in my opinion the best surfing exercise workout you can do. Stretching, walking, yoga, body weight movements on the beach are fantastic ways to build energy reserves and prepare you for when the waves arrive.
6) Sand based movements challenge the nervous system more and therefore can make your surfing exercise that much more productive. Because the sand is not stable you recruit more muscle fibers when doing your surfing training. Power sprints, water in’s and outs, pop and press drills, all become more effective for your surfing and for your body because of the element of sand.
7) Last point. It’s more exciting that being anywhere else. There is eye candy to look at, the odd wave to motivate you and it takes you to a place you love to be. The beach. So get outside and do your surfing exercise workouts on the beach.
Surfing Is Our Medicine Right?
So Stay Surf Strong, Fit & Flexible
Remember: Keep Your Exercise Surfing Workouts Short, Sharp & Real.
Click here for your Surfing Exercise Workouts
HR ‘D Man’
Powering Surfing Athletes
Last Weeks Surfing Training Blog: exercise-surfing-workouts-for-surfing-flexibility